Wednesday, January 25, 2006

New Colorway- Golden Orchid

I love love love how this colorway turned out. I took this photo last year in the Pacific Northwest, I think in Seattle, but I am not sure. I love orchids and they come in such beautiful colors. Orchids are definitely one of my favorite flowers and they do not grow well in Arizona. They need more moisture and humidity. I was going to use this close up shot (which is cropped) to paint a watercolor of. One of my favorite types of watercolor paintings are called "macro" flower paintings which are close-ups like this. Well...I decided instead to try to use the colors in hand painting a new yarn. This colorway is a keeper, next time a little heavier on the gold I think but we'll see......I did mix some custom colors for this and and one thing about handpainted yarn, no two skeins are ever exactly identical.
Here is the macro photo:


Now for the benefit of friends Roxanne and Kathy, here are first two photos of yarn done after dyeing (without reskeining). You can see how the colors are more separate. But oh so beautiful soft and fluffy and yummy 100% merino:


Now, here is a photo of the yarn re-skeined. Which do you think looks better? I am trying to decide.


In this last photo, you can also see the new tag that I did for all the handpainted yarns and roving. I think this yarn would make a very pretty summer shawl or hat. It is amazing how many colors their are and how different people are drawn to different ones. I think I need to do some research into this topic..........The emotional aspects of color. I have another really pretty colorway coming in the next few days, also scrumptious and different!

Lisa

6 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I like the first skeins.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Very pretty! It looks so professional, I like the picture of it re-skeined with the tag. I'm always amazed how the yarn turns out just like your photo inspiration!

Oooh, do pink and green next!

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the skein that's not reskeined. But that's just my personal choice.

You really are talented at dyeing! Any books, or tricks and tips you want to share? I hope to start dyeing soon, but I'm a bit too afraid to start :)

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger octopusgrrl said...

ooh, luscious colours!

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Tempe Yarn said...

Wow - color! I have been craveing those very shades lately. I think of it as a winter "gloom" rebellion!
Thank you for the good thoughts - We'll be open soon hopefully!

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello - this is Lynne's daughter Kimberly - the Portland, OR knitter and yarn-store worker! I just wanted to give a quick comment on the dyed skeins - gorgeous definitely! I personally like the first skein but in our shop we often re-skein hand-dyed yarns so people can see the colors blended and they seem to sell better. I am going to have to take some time and explore more of the blog. Keep knitting and dyeing!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home