Saturday, January 21, 2006

Yarn Substitution Confusion!!

Well...as I have posted earlier, my next project is going to be an entire sweater so I can learn how to sew in the arms and how to seam. I ordered these two wonderful DROPS pattern books from a lovely woman named Evelyn at her on-line shop Niddy Noddy. There are also many free patterns on their website here in English!

Then I obsessed over which sweater to make and I had several I have put up on here recently. I decided after much obsession that I should try to use some of the yarn in my growing stash. I found five balls of this beautiful cinnamon colored Andean Silk from Knitpicks so I tried to find a pattern in my DROPS book that would work for this.

I think this one will but I am not 100% confident for some reason:



I knit a gauge swatch and had to go down one needle size. I did get the stitches per inch correct but the rows per inch come up a bit short. Yet when I read the whole pattern, it is written by knitting in cm for the length. You don't count rows. So...I hope it will work. The yarn shown is a heavy cotton but all of their patterns say you can substitute and they have a nice Alpaca yarn too. Andean twist is a beautifully soft blend of Alpaca, Silk and Merino Wool.

Wish me luck with this. I love these wrap sweaters with the belts and I like the collar! I just hope I am counting the stitches per inch right. I have one of those little guage tools and I don't know why but everytime I count it, I get a different count!! I just know it is my eyes and I need new glasses.

I am happy also that for now I could use the yarn in my stash (I do have to buy more of it) The Garnstudio yarns are BEAUTIFUL but would cost me quite a bit more. I do want to try them though for my next project.

If you haven't looked at the DROPS patterns, DO LOOK! They really are adorable. I bought pattern books 88 and 89 and I really could make every single thing in each of them.

Happy Knitting!

Lisa

2 Comments:

At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has trouble with counting gauge stitches!

The sweater is very pretty. Good luck with it.

 
At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that sweater! It's on my to-do list, I had plans to make it this summer. Maybe I should go through my stash and see if I can find something nice to knit it with... hehehe, just what I need, another project! Good luck!I hope you enjoy knitting it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home