Friday, April 07, 2006

My First Real Handspun!

I was pretty excited about how this handspun turned out. This is only my second full skein of completed yarn! It turned out to be a WPI of 11-12 as it is a bit thick and thin in places, so that is a worsted weight. This is from the batt I purchased from Stephanie of Spritely Goods. I just ordered two more batts from her so I can have a few hundred yards to make a drop stitch scarf or shawl. For any spinners out there, the yarn is a bit overtwisted I think although after washing it seems pretty balanced now. But it still twists a tiny bit to the right or counterclockwise (which is the way I plied). So does that mean I overspun the singles or overplied during plying? I thought I had overplied the singles possibly just being new at working with merino but I really am not sure.......I know the test to see if your yarn is balanced but I don't know if there is one to tell if your singles are overspun or underspun. If you know, let me know!
Tomorrow I have a blending color class at Tempe Yarn and Fiber. I am looking forward to it.........Lisa

PS. Although there is a touch of lavender in the yarn, the little bits of purple you see are just the yarn I used to tie the skeins!

4 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger rho said...

Oh that is pretty- are you going to make something from it or sell it? Sorry I am not my normal brilliant self - tired tonight LOL

 
At 3:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you did a great job on the yarn. Looks great! Sometimes if my handspun kinks up on itself after I've spun and plied it. I will set the twist like normal. Then I lay the skein on a towel on the floor and take 2 soup cans one on each end of the skein of yarn and then move the cans until the yarn looks straight and let it dry. This will take most if not all the kinks out. You could also hang the skein of yarn up and tie a little weight on to the bottom of the hank and that will work the same way. I hope this is helpful to you.

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great! (And what a lovely photo)
I should be able to answer your question about wether it is tbe singles or the plied that is overtwisted, but I've been working all weekend, and I'm too tired to look it up.... Sorry... I hope someone else can give you the answer!

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Looks great Lisa!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home