Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Finally!! Spinning ZEN!!!!!!!!

Everyone kept telling me that spinning gave them a "zen like feeling." I thought they were nuts and really didn't get it!! Even this recent New York times article on spinning talked about this relaxation. For me, up until yesterday, it was just an awful chore!

Then suddenly, it all came together with my wheel. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my wheel. I nicknamed her Lucky because I got such a great deal on her at the January Fiber Factory Sale. So I was bumming, thinking I might have to sell her. For those of you who haven't seen Lucky, here is she, a beautiful maple Lendrum double treadle wheel. I like to touch the wood because it is so nice. Some don't love this modern look, but I do.




Anyhow, yesterday was my second spinning class. We had cleaned up the yucky wool and now learned how to card it. I can't say I love this whole cleaning..carding process but maybe I will eventually. I do like dyeing and I would love to have a drum carder to make some of the beautiful batts I have seen out there. Check out these batts by Spritely Goods. I only see one on her page now actually, but it is very pretty. I saw more in person recently. I don't know if you read this Spritely, but I saw your batts at Tempe Yarn and Fiber and fell in love with them. Maybe one day you could show me how you make them? So gorgeous if any of you are looking for beautiful colored batts and she makes gorgeous yarn and crocheted animals too.

So back to my class yesterday, after we carded, we started spinning and YES I got the zen like feeling at last. It happened once I had the feet moving with the arms at the same time and the wool was drafting so easily. It lasted at least for a few minutes. It finally gave me some hope that I might like spinning if I just keep practicing. I know I will now. It was so much fun. I yelled out to my teacher. LOOK ELLE....I am doing it and it is so fun..and then the wool broke off! LOL.

Well, I am off to practice now!!! Before I do, let me show you the wheel I am really lusting after now. I am glad I didn't get it at the beginning because no way could I afford it. But this is now my dream. Someone in my spinning class had this yesterday. It is called the Schact Matchless Wheel, double treadle price from the Woolery is $ 809.00. It goes on the wishlist which is very long now......

Soon.......I hope to have handspun yarn to show you! I have some beautiful roving that I have dyed and I am going to work on spinning that this week! In the Moody Blues colorway.

Have a great day!

Love, Lisa

4 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It's the best feeling, isn't it? Fiber will continue to break, you'll get slubs in your yarn, but it's all just yarn "enhancement" - no mistakes here!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I'm glad you are enjoying spinning so much! It's not something I'm ready to try yet but maybe someday.

And I have actually been to the Woolery, how weird is that? A few months ago I visited my aunt who lives about 30 minutes away, it is absolutely in the middle of nowhere!!! No one was there except the one girl that works there, she said they get most of their orders online, not too many walk ins. LOL!

 
At 2:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! See, told you it would happen! :)

That wheel is on my wish-list too, and I've never even seen one in real life. It's just so pretty, and I've heard so much good stuff about it. Too bad it's about $600 more than I can spend on a wheel :)

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

hooray! I'm so happy to read you're in the groove with the spinning now :D

Thanks so much for the lovely words about my batts and yarns - I wish I could spin full time :) Well, maybe not full time, but a lot of time anyhow :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home