Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Appreciation For the Postwoman

I have horrible PMS. I don't know if others who read this suffer from PMS but it really can be quite severe. For me, the main problem besides the physical symptom of bloating, is that I get extremely emotional. I mean anything could make me cry today. Anything. Bad traffic, thinking of old loves, current love, or problems with family members or friends. When I am like this, I am better off isolating and knitting or dyeing or doing watercolor painting as these things save me and nurture my soul. I often also do yoga, take long baths and try to walk more and meditate and spend time in nature. I know the minute I get my period, I will be a new person.. Part of this really is hormonal because I was tested and take all kinds of natural hormones now. So it was kind of a relief in a way to know that I really am not crazy. Also part of it is that I am just an emotional person, but I have learned to accept and even love that part of myself which has been very hard journey...... Oh no, see I feel like crying again!

In fiber news, oh, I was so glad the postwoman came today. Yes, I really have a post woman! I got some fun things in the mail this past week. First this package came from Carol Lee at Sheep Head Studio. Oh wow, I better really practice my spinning now. I bought a few pounds of wool roving (quite a lot of this will be dyed for the ETSY shop and for spindle kits for the shop. She has great prices (only 7.50 a pound) for Brown Sheep Company roving that comes from the mill ends. It is wonderful stuff! Oh and she sent some beautiful extra fiber and I am not quite sure what it is so I just emailed her. It is dyed a beautiful grape/purple color and you can see it in the photo here along with a pound of Cotswald roving.

I am trying hard to work out going to a seminar on Natural Dyeing in Wyoming the first weekend in June with Carol Lee at the Sheep Head Studio. I guess it is an annual tradition except this year the focus will be on natural dyeing. I really need to figure out how I can get there because it is an incredible opportunity and I know also how much I will learn and how fun it will be. Plus, I love Wyoming! I have been there once before although not to this part. I also want to try to get to the wool festival in Estes Park, C. We'll see! Maybe it will be my graduation present to myself. I am great at giving myself presents. Look at this workshop schedule my new fiber friend Peggy just sent me. It brings tears of excitement to my eyes!!! HAHAHAHAHA I am serious though!

I also got these beautiful dyed silk hankies from Winderwood Farm on ebay. I read an article on knitty.com about how great they are to spin with. And they are very inexpensive. The article is: HERE if you are interested. You really can't have dry hands when touching these silk hankies or it sticks to your skin! I bought some shea butter yesterday and I need to work on my hands this week!

Finally, an internet friend Sarah told me about a great guy to get ADDI circular needles from. Three pairs for 25.00?? Can you go wrong? Thanks Sarah and everyone check out Sarah's bags and boobs in her site! Really, the bags are beautiful and she helps many women who have had to have breast surgery.

Well...I feel like going and hiding under the covers now, but no, I have to go study for my final exam in Vestibular Evaluation and Function. BARF! But I have to do it today or tomorrow so I have no choice. Plus in two months, I'll be done with school and you'll all be calling me Dr. Lisa! Really, its true. Gosh who would think I would have so much to write about my yarn and fiber life every week. I haven't even told you all about my intermediate knitting class yet. Next post!! OR come read about it on the sweater KAL I am running: http://yearofthesweater.blogspot.com.

Lisa

11 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger rho said...

Ha - so when I say I was bouncing off the walls a few weeks ago you will understand exactly what I meant -- I swear I think about taking up drinking when this happens - then if I am listing to the left during this maybe if I drink alot I will list to the right and it will all balance out and I can walk straight without even having to touch the wall with my fingertips. LOL

I can understand the PMS thing totally - and to me menopause has been like having one loooonnggg PMS with no ending of period. But no worries you won't be like that when the time comes I know.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, if you don't make it up to Carol's this year, there's always the next one!

Our postman couldn't figure out what a huge plastic bag full of squishy stuff was that he delivered. When he was told it was Shetland lamb fleeces (3 of 'em), he just didn't get it!

Blessings,

Peggy

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't usually have too much trouble with PMS, but I do sometimes... and I definitely understand the excessive-emotionalness! Sometimes I'll feel like crying about, say, carrots :)

So... you didn't actually share your source for the Addi Turbos. Trying to keep them all for yourself? ;-)

 
At 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried a vitamin B supplement? You can google "vitamin B PMS" or whatever for some info, but I have been taking one a day for almost a year and what a difference it makes when that time comes around. Could be placebo, but I don't think so anymore.

This too shall pass. FOr a few weeks.... Hang in there!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

*drool* that fiber looks lovely!

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your site aunt lisa

Love,
Adam

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your site aunt lisa

Love,
Adam

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Parisknits said...

I am so glad to know that I am not the only one who blogs about PMS... I can always tell that I am PMSing because there will pics of food posted... thanks for the laugh

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any hints on the Addi source? I'm starting socks on 2 circulars and about fainted at the price! Thanks! Kate

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger YarnB said...

My hint is to check ebay...there are some great buys on there. I hope you see this as I do not have your email Kate...

 
At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If my postman brought me that, I would totally love her/him too! Especially the blue fibre....mmmmmm... that will certainly make some beautiful yarn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home