Sunday, February 05, 2006

Fibery Weekend

My whole weekend feels like it was devoted to fiber! On Saturday morning, I went to a meeting of the Arizona Desert Weavers and Spinners Guild (ADSWG). It was quite fun! There were about 75 people present. First, there was a speaker who talked about weaving and showed samples of her beautiful work. They had a raffle for fun prizes and I was bummed I didn't win, but oh well. After, people who wanted to spin together stayed. I was lucky to get a private lesson from Susan of the Fiber Factory, which is the store where I bought my wheel. I am still REALLY struggling with the spinning though. So far, it does not come naturally to me and I know I just need to practice.

Today I met up with my sister. I snapped a photo of her with her beautiful new shawl she is working on. She is knitting a shawl with this gorgeous pinks No No Kitty Yarn (no defunct small company) and mixing in some pretty hot pink mohair and eyelash yarn. Here's the photos! Hi sis!



After this, we went to the huge Superbowl sale at Jessica Knits! I was a good girl for the most part. I bought some pretty hot pink sock yarn (I WILL I WILL I WILL finish a pair of socks!) two skeins of Noro Silk to make a modular hat from the Modular Knits book, and some pretty Plymouth Encore Worsted weight wool to make a hat for the Dulaan Project. The word Dulaan means "warmth" in Mongolian and these poor kids are FREEZING THERE. Read all about the project on this page and there is still plenty of time to knit lots of things for them. My goal (this is my own personal knitting Olympics) is to make one item a month until July when they are all due and ready to be mailed to Mongolia. So that will be six extra warm hats, mittens or socks most likely. I am starting with this first hat pattern, the Double-Thick, Super-Warm Dulaan Hat Pattern. It looks super easy and knits up fast with the yarn doubled on big needles!

Happy Sunday and Superbowl day to those who watched.......This week I have to buckle down and study for my class too (UGH) but I still will have some great yarn and roving dye photos to post!


Lisa

4 Comments:

At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I'm so glad that you are learning how to spin, too. I think we're at the same level of spinning. I have so much practicing to do. Since I have always been PE challenged, it is no surprise that learning to coordinate drafting with pedaling is an uphill battle. My first ball of yarn is so dreadful that a freeform scarf is the only thing I could possibly make.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Good luck with the spinning!!!!

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that pink scarf! You must show a photo of it when it's completed.

I'm sorry to hear about your lousy day.... I hope things are better now. I'll try and answer your mail too, whenever I feel I have more than 5 mins of coherent time at the computor!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger blogdog said...

Thanks for the comments about the sock yarn and the puppy -- I'd love to come to Arizona to show both of them off! I swiped your button and will be putting it up on my blog, but the Web host I use for my buttons was down last night... so I'll keep trying.

Keep showing off your gorgeous spinning and dyeing! Your color sense is just extraordinary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home