Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Is it Just Me

I read the blog Whip Up quite often. Sometimes there are some interesting things on there, other times, I feel either really old or possibly I just live on another mental planet.

I mean look at this hat:



It is described as "fantastic" on this blog.....

A few months ago, they had a contest that was supposed to find some of the best crafty things around and I have to say I was pretty surprised at the winners. I didn't think they were that great to be perfectly honest. There is craft, there is art, and then there is just plain tacky that frankly isn't really artsy at all. Some people have talent and some just don't despite the expression that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Here is another hat that is considered a wonderful felt creation:



I mean who would wear this thing?? No offense to the creators as I am sure you worked hard at your artistic hats. And I hate to be a party pooper and a spoil sport. But I don't get it. Is it just me? Maybe I am getting too old for some of this crafty stuff.

I found a few more of these felt hat creations on this webpage linked from Whip UP:
These last two came from HERE. A few were kind of attractive maybe..others just plain ugly. What am I missing here? I've been looking for a new idea for Halloween so perhaps I have found it here?



I don't think I'll be wearing any on my next blind date. Can you imagine showing up in this one?





Have a nice night....

10 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Blogger Susan Wike said...

Looks like something you'd see in a Dr. Seuss book.

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger YarnThrower said...

It's not just you.....though perhaps it's just that I'm too old, too.

Have a great Thursday!

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger K. said...

maybe they're for a cult of dr. seuss followers? :P

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

That orange and red contraption looks like it might be worn my Horton the Hoo. I guess.

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're really not my thing either, but looking at them from a textile construction point of view, I think they're pretty fabulous. I wouldn't ever make them, but I think that the skill involved in constructing something like that multiple bowl-looking hat is pretty amazing.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Elizabeth Metz said...

Okay, how sad is it that I'd actually probably wear a couple of those?

*hangs head in shame*

Then again, I have a husband who swallows swords and breathes fire, so anything weird that *I* do is automatically secondary. :)

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger yarnophiliac said...

ok -- i'm not old, and those are some of the freakiest things I have ever seen. WTF? Where is "you knit what??" when we need them????

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I don't like the rest of them, but the top one is a Katamari, like in Katamari Damacy - so it's a fan thing, like a Jane hat. My little boy would adore it. :)

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger natasha said...

they are dr.seussish, especially the one with the orange thingy on top.

i must admit, i think they are really gorgeous in a sculptural sense. i agree that most people would be considered nutty that wore it in public. maybe on the runway? or to a party? or whilst housecleaning. i wear a different crazy hat while i do different chores. nah. i don't, but it sounds like a good idea, no?

 
At 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you have to look at it as "art" in terms of being avant-garde, kind of like runway fashions.

Right now felting is hot, hot, hot, so designers/artists want to push the envelope on felt's possibilities. At least that's my take on it. Also (and I often find this in knitting magazines/websites also, it's hard to do something that hasn't already been done. I happen to like a plain, classic look, but that's not very exciting.)

Some of those creations are just plain fugly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home