Saturday, May 20, 2006

OverDyed.........

This week, I did a lot of dyeing. I think a bit too much actually and I am feeling kind of sick from working with the dyes. Even despite the fact that I am very careful wearing gloves, apron mask and all..... I need a work studio, I really do. And one that is very well ventilated... It really caught up with me yesterday as I had a severe headache, etc.... This is the downside of dyeing for those of you in the dyeorama world! It definitely has its health hazards and it is MUCH better to do outside or in a well ventilated studio.... I never realized until this week how strong the fumes were. I never even noticed them before actually..... I mix the dye powders outside thinking that that was the dangerous part, but the fumes are just as bad......I am going to look into either finding a studio space to work in or adding on to the back of my house where the patio is (like a sun porch). Really I just need water and electricity...For the near future, I am going to set up a table in my back yard against the house and use a crockpot and turkey roasters outside....I just wish it wasn't 100 plus degrees out right now!

OK, enough cautionary stuff. The great thing is look at how many fantastic new colors I have. Once these are all sorted, organized, labeled etc, you will see each individual colorway (because some are TRULY INCREDIBLE) but here are just some photos of my bathroom with mounds of handpainted rovings and yarns.....I have got all kinds of fiber! Blue faced leicester, merino and tencel, merino and tussah silk, alpaca, merino and tussah, Brown sheep wool, superwash merino...the list goes on!!! OH YEAH, Cormo pin drafted roving (HEAVENLY) and soon some Targhee........So I hope I won't be dyeing for awhile as I need a serious break!!




I wanted to make a list of the knitting projects that I am working on and really get serious about finishing some of them....Here they are..
1. Wrap Sweater-Garnstudio...alpaca, silk and merino yarn (YUM)
2. Cotton/Rayon lacy sweater-garnstudio-----in gorgeous terra cotta yarn with glitter thread
3. Regia Striped socks (barely started)
4. Vintage Velvet Scarf from Scarf Style-here is a photo..This Yarn Munich Touch me is unbelievably soft and luscious.

5. And then I got this gorgeous Karabella Aurora 8 yarn in Olive in to start working on the BackYard Leaves Scarf also from Scarf Style.......This yarn is luscious so I might have to cast on and start this today....even though I shouldn't!


Well, five projects at once isn't too bad! I know others with many more started than that........Once I am done or close to done with these, the next projects are:

1. Lace Tee pattern I just bought-using pure silk yarn probably
2. Lady E Shawl-probably using Noro Silk Garden
3. Many sock patterns - I want to learn magic loop and two needle style
4. Crochet projects-so many cute ones in the new Happy Hooker book! I am signed up for a beginning crochet class in August.

It felt good to spell that all out. Sorry for the length! Today is going to be a relaxing day of lavender scented baths, knitting, movies and maybe dinner out........
Tomorrow I have a novelty yarn spinning class through the Telarana Guild which I am just joining... It is at the Fiber Factory and I am excited about this. I might have some photos for you from the class....And from my weaving class! I am glad I have so many hobbies I love. I feel so lucky in this lifetime to have so many good friends, family and other people and things around me that I love.

Have a good weekend.....

Lis

6 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, the dyed yarn looks great!!!

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger Maryann said...

Wow! Thanks for the recommendations. I really love the red/burgundy yarn in your second picture.

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Gina House said...

Those fibers and yarns are amazing! Your bathroom is SO lucky! I'd love to have all of those colors hanging around me...have you thought of colorway names yet? To me, that's the most fun part...did that make sense? Hope to see some of these in your store sometime : )

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger rho said...

The yarns look fantastic - sorry it made you ill -- but you just HAD to rub in your good (well too hot) weather after our weeks of rain and my sitting here with my shawlug (a shawl I turned into a shrug)on because the house is chilly.

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely dyed stuff!

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just LOVE your hand dyed roving. Maybe I could trade some for Garnstudio yarn some day? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home