Thursday, March 22, 2007

American Idol-and Life

OK, no knitting content really, but I will have photos soon of a few projects and I have been spinning again. I really have been knitting most every night, but I keep forgetting to take photos. I also have a great yarn I am about to ply.. I really will try to snap a photo of it tomorrow to plug in here. I wish I remembered my Navajo Plying Instructions.

I just have to blog about American Idol. I confess, I started watching it and now I am addicted. I swore up and down that I would never watch reality tv but when my mom was visiting she had to watch it and now I am hooked... She also turned me on to Dancing with the Stars. I have never watched so much TV before and I really wonder how many of my friends and also readers here can admit they watch these reality shows too. I am also hooked on BBC mystery and other shows, Criminal Minds, 24, Lost, Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy. Way too much TV! But I am enjoying it, so hey! Everyone deserves some mindless relaxation....I just kind of miss reading.

And what a shocker that the person sent home tonight was Stephanie who really can sing in my opinion. I think she just looks nervous. I guess I wasn't shocked but if it really is a "singing competition" she surely is not the worst by far. And what did you think of "crying girl." She scared me. Was that happiness? Here is an interesting read and explanation of why Sanjaya is still on the show if you haven't heard of this. Read this blog! http://www.votefortheworst.com. Blame them and Howard Stern. Are they (vote for the worst) ruining American Idol or making it more entertaining? I have no idea since it is my first season, but lots of bloggers seem to have opinions about this.

Our society really is something. When I read the news and watch these shows, and look back on life since I left college, things seem so different to me now.. But there is certainly nothing wrong with watching something entertaining mixed in with all the shows about serial killers. I watched Criminal Minds also tonight, another favorite show of mine, and the images are so graphic, they are sickening. Was TV like this 20 years ago? I feel like I need to do something meaningful with my life like I used to and so I am going to do some volunteer work for some kind of cause. I can't spend my days doing yarn stuff and my nights watching American Idol type shows. I don't have kids so I don't have that focus..... Yep, I feel like I am floundering a bit. I read that surgery and anesthesia can do a lot of strange things to people, like cause depression after and reassessment of one's life...I am definitely "there."

Time to relax....

7 Comments:

At 6:02 AM, Blogger Prof. Knitwit said...

I also started watching American Idol for the first time this season!!! I never thought I would but it managed to draw me in.

I hadn't seen that blog before - but I think it's awful - people like Sanjaya have no business being on American Idol in the finals. I heard an interesting bit on the Today show this morning though where they talked about how 11-13 year old girls are being charmed by him b/c he's so young and has a cute smile and that's one big reason why he's still on...b/c I guess a lot of 11-13 yr old girls love the show and vote a lot.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger yarnophiliac said...

Gotta admit I don't watch Idol. Mostly b/c I don't like the voting aspect and how it can be tampered with by these crazy "movements". It seems to be more of a popularity contest than a contest of real talent.
As for "doing something worthwhile", your yarn business has pledged funds to organizations striving for PEACE. I call that worthwhile!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger YarnB said...

Yes that is true Heather, about the donations. I have some other ideas too. I never watched before this year, and I am trying to look at it as pure entertainment. Really Dancing with the Stars is better in a way! Good to hear from you Professor!!!! Can you believe Sanjaya? He doesn't have much talent does he, but I give him credit for even being on there...!

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Connie said...

That's so funny, Lisa, I just blogged about American Idol too! It's my first time watching too and I'm hooked. I'm also outraged that Brandon Rogers and Stephanie were kicked off and Sanjaya allowed to stay. It's so wrong! ;)

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Looks like a nice visit!!

Love the pattern.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Marlene Lee said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Marlene Lee said...

Like you I've started to watch American Idol. Actually what got me started were articles that I read about Carrie Underwood. Then I watched her audition and performances on AI on Youtube. It was interesting to see how she had blossomed from a country girl to a woman of the world and it's all due to AI. But it has been said by one of the judges (I think Randy) he was surprised that Carrie has not discovered yet.

Then I got curious to see how Clay Aiken started. So I watched his audition tape and performances on Youtube. Quite impressive singer.

The performers on the current AI have yet to impressed to the degree that Carrie and Clay did. They're good, though.

Also, I had been watching Without a Trace, CSI and whatever draws my interest. But it's a phase that will pass. I do feel like I'm wasting time if I watch too much. So now I draw while watching. (I'm an art student as well as a mother of 3 teenagers.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home